Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hello again....What's in a name

I tried to post a comment on Bri's recent blog post...but it won't let me...so here goes a post.

I've been reading Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar. I desperately need to do this with a group...

The passage that caused me to long for this online connection and class was this,
"'The worst part of all this,' he thought, 'is that it always ends up in the Animula vagula blandula. What is there to do? With that question I'll never go to sleep. Oblomov, cosa facciama? The great voices of History stir us to action: revenge, Hamlet! Shall we avenge ourselves, Hamlet, or settle for Chippendale, slippers, and a good fire? The Syrian, after all, made the scandalous choice of Martha, as is well known. Will you give battle Arjuna? ........ Happy are those who chose, those who accept being chosen, the handsome heroes, the handsome saints, the perfect escapists.'" (19 Cortazar).

Nostalgia brought me back. The places we're going or not going don't matter too much to me because where we are is where we're going unless we choose to move from where we are. To act or not to act. Where do we go from here? How did we take all of this with us?

Seeing what Little Legs has been writing of her life on Facebook is facinating. I came back upon the line, between two waves of the sea, while trying to name a ceramic studio Sutter and I are trying to start up. The hardest part above all has been naming it and I feel as though my mind is mush. I can't make one meaningful and clever name for the ceramic studio. But the line made me want to forget what I was doing and come back to the blogs and re-read some posts. And what do I find? Bri's blog Between Two Waves of the Sea has been active and Tai has been on here. Why are we coming back to this place?

2 comments:

  1. I came back because I realized how much writing/talking things out helped me understand my thoughts. Plus, without the blog and without class, I felt that I was losing that literary analysis part of my life. I'm very excited that you and Tai are getting back into the blogging spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back, and came back because I too have felt as though I am losing a part of myself. Yes I am in school again, and am working on becoming a high school English teacher, but still there is the ever present feeling of "lost" when I pick up a book and attempt to read. I read The Brother Karamazov this summer and longed desperately for a class to catch me as I fell into the tangled words of Dostoyevsky. I too need help understanding my thoughts and I agree with Bri that writing and talking helps me understand what is going through my mind. Hope to hear from all of you soon.

    ~L.

    ReplyDelete